Professional floor coatings are an excellent option for anyone looking to protect the concrete floors in their home from cracking, chipping, and staining. Floor coatings can be used in many spaces in your home, including in your garage.
If you are looking for ways to improve your garage, you may consider getting Polyurea or Polyaspartic floor coatings. But with so many options available, you may not know which product is best for your home. Each flooring option comes with its benefits, and it is essential to know these before making any final decisions.
In this blog, our Surface Bella Garage Floors team is going to discuss two popular floor coating options, Polyurea and Polyaspartic floor coatings, why you might choose each of these, and which flooring option we recommend for your floors.
Polyurea Floor Coatings
Polyurea was developed as a water-resistant coating for use on steel but has since been adopted as a floor coating option. It bonds to the moisture in your concrete floor to create a protective barrier between the flooring and anything that may come in contact with it. Many home and commercial space owners have begun using Polyurea floor coatings in their spaces.
Benefits Of Polyurea Floor Coatings
There are many benefits to using Polyurea floor coating in your home. The benefits of Polyurea include the following:
- The Less Expensive Flooring Option: Compared to some floor coating options, including Polyaspartic, Polyurea is a less expensive option. If you are looking for a floor coating option but are on a budget, you may want to consider Polyurea.
- Quick Curing Time: If you hope to get back to regular use of your garage soon after installing a floor coating, Polyurea is an excellent option. Many Polyurea floor coatings have cured a few hours after application, meaning you can return to regular use of your space a day after application.
- More Flexible: When the temperature and weight on your floor change, your floors can move. An option like Polyurea is flexible enough to move with the floors. This flexibility means you won’t experience the chips and cracks you might encounter with other flooring options.
Why You Might Not Want Polyurea Floors
While there are many benefits to installing a polyurea floor in your garage, there are some reasons why you should consider another option. These reasons include the following:
- Not UV Resistant: Your Polyurea floor coating may become yellow over time. This yellowing is because it is not resistant to UV damage. The lack of UV protection may also degrade the material.
- Cures Too Quickly: While quick curing time may sound appealing if your floor coating cures too quickly, it may not properly adhere to the concrete beneath it. This curing time may also become a problem if you attempt to apply this flooring without experience. It may cure before you have time to install it through the entire space.
- Bubbling In The Coating: If your Polyurea floor coating is mixed at too high a speed, bubbles can form in the coating. As your floor coating professional applies it to your floors, the bubbles will begin to dry in the coating. Over time, these bubbles may burst, leading to chips in the flooring.
Polyaspartic Floor Coatings
First introduced in the 1990s, Polyaspartic floor coatings are considered the most advanced version of Polyurea. It has a slower curing time than Polyurea, though it still cures in 24 hours. Polyaspartic coatings have been used on ships, bridges, piers, and railcars but have recently gained popularity as a garage floor coating option.
Benefits of Polyaspartic Floor Coatings
- More Durable Option: Polyaspartic floor coatings are incredibly durable and are generally more resistant to scratching, chipping, and cracking than other flooring options.
- Non-yellowing, UV Resistance: Polyaspartic floor coatings, unlike Polyurea, has non-yellowing attributes. Because of its non-yellowing attributes, you no longer need to worry about the deterioration of your flooring by exposure to UV rays.
- Easy installation: Unlike Polyurea, Polyaspartic floor coatings are easier to install. This easier installation is because of the improved curing time. As we already mentioned, a problem people have with Polyurea is the quick cure time. Polyaspartic floor coatings have a slightly slower cure time, giving your flooring professional to apply it to your floor perfectly.
Which Is Better For Your Garage Floor
While the ultimate decision of which floor coating is best for your home is up to each homeowner, we recommend Polyaspartic floor coatings. While it is often the more expensive option of the two, its high-quality properties mean that it will withstand the test of time and will last the entire length of its warranty period.
Another benefit that Polyaspartic floor coatings have is that they can be fully customized to best fit your space. If you choose, your Polyaspartic floor coatings can have a paint chip or quartz-like appearance to your flooring, allowing it to match each room in which you choose to use it.
Upgrading Your Garage Floors With Surface Bella Garage Floors
If you are looking for Polyaspartic floor coatings for your home, our team at Surface Bella is confident we can create the floors of your dreams. Serving the Greenville, South Carolina, area, we have years of experience and happy customers, making us confident that we can also help you.
In addition to our garage floor coatings, we provide coatings for your basement floor, commercial space, patios, and porches. If you are interested in getting Polyaspartic floor coatings installed in your home, contact our team today.